Monday, August 18, 2008

5.5" x 8.5" Postcard Mailer


Click on the image to see it larger.

I'm getting ready to do a mailing to art directors and editors at publishing houses I'd like to work for, and I've created a few different options for the front of my 5.5" x 8.5" postcard. The back of the card shows a couple characters in multiple poses that are sample interior black & white illustrations for a middle grade novel. Front 3 shows a sample middle grade cover using the same characters that I used on the back. I'll send Front 3 to those who don't work on picture books, but stictly publish chapter books/middle grade/YA.

My dilemma is what to send to those who publish both picture books and middle grade. Front 1 and Front 2 show my Peter Pan illustration and an illustration that will be in Highlights in the December issue. The Highlights illustration would work fine for picture book editors, and the back of the card shows middle grade illustrations, so both picture books and middle grade would be covered in one card. The other option is to send Front 3 to everyone who works on middle regardless of whether or not they do picture books too and just target middle grade right now. What do you think? Show both picture book and middle grade samples on one card or just focus on middle grade for this mailer?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one...they say less is more, but both are so great. I'll venture to say... both?

By the way, did you know there's a new Peter Pan book out? Unlike the other prequels and sequels, it doesn't contradict Barrie's original stories. It's faithful AND it's based on his idea for more Pan adventure!
Cool, huh? :) Click on my name to see...
BEST OF LUCK in all endeavors!
BELIEVE!

Vicki said...

I'll go out on a limb and say both, too! Either both together, or one a few weeks after the other, to refresh their memories.

Both look great!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

These look wonderful Kristi! I really like the Christmas card in the previous post too. Lovely colors!

ELLA ELVIANA said...

so wonderful! love it.

Unknown said...

beautiful!

Kristi Valiant said...

Thanks for your comments! I decided to send the middle grade card to anyone who publishes middle grade books because I've sent them picture book samples in the past. This card will show them a middle grade cover and interior b&w illustrations to go with it.

I'll send Front #2 card to anyone who I'm not sure if they do middle grade or not.

I recently set up statcounter on my website, so that I can see how many hits I get and from what cities. That should help me see if this postcard mailing gets a response.

James Hoopes said...

I hope some day to grow up and be as cool as you are, you are wonderful inspiration!

roz said...

Good luck with your mailing, I'm sure you'll get lots of bites. Your work is terrific.

Julie Olson said...

Love them. I need to set up a stat counter too. Looks like I'm too late to give my opinion on what to send. Hope it works out well for you.