Friday, June 01, 2012

Illustration Friday - Hurry!

I'm posting this piece again because it works for Illustration Friday's theme "Hurry!" (the father hurried to meet his returning wayward son and embrace him with joy), and also some of you have asked if prints are available, and I'm happy to answer yes!

My church, Christian Fellowship Church, in Evansville, IN will continue to sell unframed 8" x 12" giclee prints through their bookstore for $150. You can buy one by calling 812.867.6464 and asking for Sheryl Walts. The title of the piece is "Love That Lifts A Child." I've decided to stick with CFC selling my prints so that the commission goes to Olive Tree Arts, the ministry that hosts the art show I originally entered this in.

In other news, the Indiana SCBWI conference that I had been planning since some time last year was a couple weeks ago and was a fantastic success! We had the friendliest, most helpful faculty ever and I came away excited to revise my latest picture book manuscript. My favorite parts of the conference were seeing which illustrations the editors and art director marked as their favorite in each portfolio in the portfolio display and attending Jessica Garrison's picture book workshop where we filled out a Title Info Sheet on our WIP manuscripts comparing them to picture books on the market, coming up with selling points for them, and so on. If you write or illustrate kid's books or even want to, these SCBWI conferences are super encouraging, inspiring, and helpful.

I'm hurrying to make deadlines on other books I'm illustrating right now, including my own picture book, PENGUIN CHA-CHA, that will come out next year. I'm sneaking in people I know as extras in PENGUIN CHA-CHA and it's so much fun! Think of anyone and put them in whatever pose I want in the background of an illustration. Hee hee. Book 3 in the Little Wings series that I'm illustrating for Random House is now out and Willa Bean's antics are as funny as ever.


Hope you're enjoying this summer-y weather!

8 comments:

tatjana said...

nice, I like the idea of telling the story through the shadow

bedroom furniture said...

Nice article. Very useful one. Thanks for sharing this helpful post.

Rita said...

beautiful!

Patti said...

very nice.

NANCY LEFKO said...

this is so wonderful...really, wonderful!

pauline said...

such a beautiful illustration... i love that you used the shadows to tell us a story. xoxo

Julie Rowan-Zoch said...

Super shadow play, great piece for the word/concept.

Etudesque said...

gorgeous and gentle colors! Time sure does fly!