Friday, December 10, 2010

Dummy is ready to submit (I think)


The phenomenon of the dancing penguins would only happen when Julia wasn't in sight. When she wasn't there, the penguins moved and grooved, whirled and twirled, hip-hopped and boogie-bopped. But every time Julia stepped into the penguin cove, the penguins stared blankly at her.



These are from my picture book dummy that I just finished sketching last night. I've been revising this story over and over for a couple years now in between my published books. I've gone through a number of complete rewrites where the plot changed entirely, but the dancing penguins remained dancing through it all. I love this version and feel ready to submit (I think).

The picture book market is tough, but hopefully these penguins will dance their way into some agent's and editor's hearts to find a home!

13 comments:

heike schulz said...

Looking at your penguins, I remember another phenomenon to do with these animals: in an aquazoo in Germany there was an area reserved for penguins, which was built to resemble their natural environment, with rocks and of course a lot of deep water. There was quite a long stretch where the rocks were sloping into the water, but the (around 20)penguins always lined up in one single spot and waited patiently to jump into the water from there rather than jumping immediately from various places.
This didn't only happen on one visit, but whenever I went there. I think that's quite a phenomenon.

Ana M.F. said...

they not only dance but also were great outfits while doing it :)

Kris-Tea said...

Very nice illustrations :)

Janet Dibbydabby.com.au said...

Lovely illustrations and ideas - good luck for getting your book published

Linda Hensley said...

Very nice!

MrBibleHead said...

Congrats Kristi! Looks great! Now hurry and submit before you decide to make a change :o)

Kristin said...

Kristi,

I remember your dancing penguins! They are wonderful and I love the little girl, too and her pigtails.
I'm a huge fan of your art!

Kristin

Pásztohy Lili said...

my dad likes penguins too

Ray Ferguson said...

Awesome illustration! I can't wait to see the whole book.

Susi said...

love the story and your art work!

Eve Skylar said...

Love the concept. Great gestures!

Unknown said...

Hello Kristi, your artworks (and penguins) are awesome!

Paige Keiser said...

Wowee I love your new header! You've inspired me to work on mine too! Fantastic penguins!